[3830] CQ160 CW EI2CN Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW EI2CN Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:25:35 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: EI2CN
Operator(s): EI2CN
Station: EI2CN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 332  State/Prov = 25  Countries = 57  Total Score = 171,298

Club:

Comments:

This was a casual effort:
Friday night; 00:00 till 04:00
Saturday 20:30 till 22:00  and 04:00 to 08:10
Sunday night 4 QSOs all new DXCC multipliers  While reading 3830 and having
beer.

A decision was mad to just enjoy the contest as conditions have not been all
that good.   At 70 and yes I am young for some getting my sleep makes sense.
Walking the dogs is important and there were other things to do.    So my total
time is about 10 hours but I feel refreshed and happy with the contest.

Largely I did S&P only looking for new multipliers!   Of course I do not
know a station's state so I just worked every NA that I could.   Europe was
largely worked on Friday night and I had enough.

Friday night conditions were not great so I retired to the
"scratcher" early.   The best DX was probably Texas, thanks K5RX.
On Saturday I wisely got out of bed at 04:00 UTC and then operated for four
hours.   This netted me Arizona as my best DX for the USA though I worked up
and down the coast and much of the Midwest.    This was pretty paltry but
better than Friday night.   Sunday night my four QSOs were GW7O, JA3YBK, BA7IO
and HS0ZIA by far the best DX of the contest.   I contented myself with just
trying to add to the multiplier total and worked no one else.

Next time I operate this way I will do two early morning shifts.  It was nice
getting sleep, exercise and regular meals.   The dogs also appreciated getting
their walks and we had a most enjoyable visit from Adrian, EI2KJ.   Contests do
not all need to be entered flat out.   It is great to be happy and well rested.
 Even if conditions are not what they once were this really was fun.

I heard the Peruvian but he did not hear me.   Oh well it is not needed for
DXCC but would have been most welcome in the log.    Too bad there were no
contacts further than Arizona in NA.    Did not even work Colorado with its
large ham population.   The decision to take it easy was right as it would have
been frustrating and dull otherwise.

Thanks to all of you for a really fun event!

Equipment:
K3 and P3
Acom 2000A running 1500 Watts contest power limit for EI
Inverted L with vertical run of 100 feet or 30M and 3 km of radials beneath.
Hi-Z 4 square in woods
Micro-keyer II
WinTest