[3830] NA Sprint CW KE3X(@N4RV) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenke3x@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW KE3X(@N4RV) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:21:58 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N4RV

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Oakton, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   77     1.3
   40:   85     1.3
   20:   90     1.4
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC #1

Comments:

Thanks to Jack and Gwyn for hosting again - playing in CW Sprints at N4RV is
something I always look forward to.

My strategy was the Sweepstakes approach of 'focus on rate and the multipliers
will take care of themselves'.   Didn't work so good:  missed ND, NE, CT, ME,
RI, AL, KY, AR, OK, NV, UT, WY, AB, MAR, QC, YT, KP4.   What a difference from
SSB Sprint last weekend.   Maybe CW Sprint needs a 'get out the vote' campaign
too?  Can't believe no CT, RI, AL, KY, AR.   Or maybe the organizers should
reschedule it to another weekend to avoid conflicts with FOC.

An Interesting Thing Happened On The Way to The Sprint Finish Line:

At 0359, a QSO on 80M with a midwestern station went like this:

KE3X:   'KE3X'
N0XYZ:  'KE3X N0XYZ 123 OPERATOR MN'
KE3X:   'N0XYZ 252 KEN VA KE3X'
(clock ticks to 0400)
N0XYZ:  'QRM NIL'

KE3X:   (frustrated ...)  'What?  That QSO started prior to 0400, so why did
the op not ask for a fill and log it?  That QSO should count'.

In NCCC Sprint, I recall as long as a QSO *STARTS* at 0259, it can continue
beyond 0300 until it's complete.   It does not matter if it was 100% copy on
the first try or not.   A fill of the number is fine.  The rule says you cannot
continue a QSO where the guys answers my CQ *AFTER* the clock rolls over to
0300.  I quote from the NCCC Sprint website:

"Note:  NS begins at exactly  02:30:00.  A participant may not respond to
a CQ or it's equivalent more than 30.00 minutes later -- 03:00:00.  In other
words, if the soliciting station receives and sends the call sign of the
responding station before 30.00 minutes after the start, then the QSO can be
completed and counted.  Otherwise, not."

Isn't it the same rule in NA Sprint?   Inquiring minds want to know ...

73,

Ken KE3X