[3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:12:32 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JA1BPA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Chiba, JAPAN
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  861    57
-------------------
Total:  861    57  Total Score = 192,282

Club: University of Tokyo

Comments:

We had the best propagation in 5 years on 10mb since 2011, with
geomagnetic condition quiet for most of the weekend.

The best rate was recorded at the beginning of the contest at
162Qs per hour.  Sunday morning (local) was so-so, and Monday
morning (local) was not as good as previous 2 openings.

JG1ZUY club station, from which I operate in major contests, was
commanded by its owner, JG1ILF, and we had decided to compare how
my smaller antenna (5 element tri-bander) fared with their 1omb
7 element mono-bander at JG1ZUY.  They are on top of a hill and
mine is on the coast of the Pacific Ocean.  We have been wondering
which is better location, being closer to the sea or on top of
a hill.  We entered together in 10mb single band category and
competed with each other.

The result has been nothing but a "close call."  JG1ILF worked
860 Qs and 56 mults.  Any copy errors in the log checking process
will decide which one of us wins.  In a sense, it implies that
being closer to the ocean somewhat made up for the disadvantage
in the size of my antenna.  Of course, it is not that simple,
but looking at the chart from RBN analysis tool, we were indeed
very close in the S/N level in North America.

We appreciate all stations who worked us.  I especially
thank my 2 final multiplier providers, VY2OX (PEI) and
W0UD (SD), for calling in to enable my single-band, single-
weekend WAS to be completed.

I will probably be at JG1ZUY for RDXC.  Hope to work you then.

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA