[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:04:17 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 33.6

------------
  160:    0
   80:    3
   40:   23
   20:   59
   15:  263
   10:  154
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts

Antennas:

 10-15-20  3 el SteppIR up 10 Meters
 40        DX-LB trap dipole up 10 Meters in center
 40-80     Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
Well it appears that we are now beyond the peak of the cycle. 15 meters did not
open to Europe until about an hour after sunrise on Saturday and until 2 hours
after sunrise on Sunday. And on 10 meters the only European station I heard on
Sunday was CT1AOZ, ...and I can hear him when the sunspots are in negative
numbers!

10 M. Despite lousy condx to Europe I still was able to work VK8AA, H2T, C4A,
SV9CVY, and ZS6DX.

15 M. With good openings to Europe both days, this was the workhorse band as
the stats above show.  I even had a sunset Q with OH1F, a rare European Q for
me on 15 in the early evening.

20 M. There was a nice "over the pole" opening late Saturday night
which allowed me to add a number of eastern European mults.

40 M. It is always nice to add new JA mults into the log with the Q point
bonus.

80 M. I was lucky to scratch out 3 Qs on this band!

I had a DXCC of 72 and WAZ of 27, both fairly modest numbers.  This year I had
107 Qs into Europe, and this compares to 260 Qs last year. ....I better get
used to it!

I had one great success CQing. This is one of the very few contests that I can
CQ, and on Saturday afternoon I decided to point the beam east and see if I
could pick up some USA mults that I could not get by S&P. In a 1 1/2 hour
run, I worked 50 stations (all USA!) and 34 were new mults.  It is definitely
fun to sit with my 5 watts and actually have stations come back to me, ...and
even new mults!  Of course, I don't need tell you of the dozens of times over
the years that I have CQ'd with two or three calls and out.

My most common country (after W,VE, and JA) was LU, then PY, and then DL.

Well, the major contest season is coming to an end. See you at the end of May
for WPX CW.   ....Bill  W6QU / W8QZA