[3830] NAQP SSB KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:08:11 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 9:24

  160:    7     4
   80:   61    23
   40:   14    12
   20:   37    12
   15:   24    12
   10:    5     3
-------------------
Total:  148    66  Total Score = 9,768

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC TEAM #1

Comments:

That was a lot different than recent years!  I thought all my coax runs had
water in them!  If my ladder line fed antenna hadn't been just as bad I would
have thought so, but then I had to worry about my rig.  Fortunately it appears
everyone suffered similar condx, and they were not good.  And it wasn't that
people couldn't hear me ... if I could hear them most of the time they could
hear me, too ... it was that the propagation was so spotty I would have thought
that 90% of last year's entrants just didn't show up.  I'm hoping that wasn't
the case, of course.

Anyway, in spite of the tough condx, I had fun slogging away at ~15 Q's/hour
average - not very exciting but ... the propagation gods have their own
agenda.
I tried running a number of times and it was a complete waste of time even when
the condx sounded at their best and there were lots of stations around.  My
results are WAY below recent years <sob>, but ... next time will be
better.

Thanks to all who strained (if you did) for my small signal, and to those who
asked for repeats.  There were surprisingly few repeat requests given the
condx, but I guess they were more spotty than just weak.

I look forwad to hearing you all in the next one, and wish you best reception
in 2016.  72/73 de kt8k - Tim

antennas: 20/30/80m inverted vee ('W' shape) w feed point up ~45 feet
10/15/20 trap dipole (A3 driven element) suspended vertically w feed point up
~60 feet
500 foot not-very horizontal and crescent moon-shaped loop between 15 and 70
feet up
all aided by my hilltop city lot on the 2nd highest spot in town

equipment: Tentec Orion at 5 Watts, WGA TR-2000 headset w foot switch, N1MM+
running (barely) on ancient XP laptop