[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 04:50:23 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 33.0

------------
  160:    1
   80:   13
   40:   81
   20:  212
   15:  142
   10:   20
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:
Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40-160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Well conditions have certainly gone over the hill. An excellent measure of
conditions from out here in the south western Pacific coast is how well I can
get into Europe with all those great multipliers.  In this contest last year I
had 214 Qs into Europe. This year only 40! And my score is less than half last
year's score.

There were no truly remarkable Qs in this contest, but I did work VK6LW on 40 M
with my 5 watts and vertical. On 10 Meters I got XR0YS on Easter Island for one
of my 20 Qs on 10 Meters and the second Q of the contest.

I never heard Europe on 10 Meters, and my only European Qs on 15 were two
Azores stations. I did get WAC on 40 Meters with my 5 watts thanks to CR2X!

But there was a great late night opening to eastern Europe on 20 Meters on
Friday where I got 15 of my 40 Euro Qs. Then on Saturday there was an amazing
late night opening to Japan where I got 14 of my 32 JA Qs near midnight. I have
never seen an opening like that before.

DXCC was 60, down from 81 last year. But WAZ zones were 25 compared to 26 last
year showing that I was still getting around the globe.

I only had one station answer a CQ! With 10 Meters gone and 15 Meters in bad
shape, it makes QRP CQing an impossible strategy.

Still, our expectations adjust with the changing conditions, so it is still a
lot of fun and the thrills come from making Qs I would have taken for granted a
couple years ago!

See you next Fall!!   73,   Bill  W8QZA - W6QU