[3830] WAE CW N5AW Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N5AW Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 03:09:43 +0000
WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX (EM00)
Operating Time (hrs): 32.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:   20          64
   40:  178         108
   20:  285          90
   15:  162          80
   10:    9          14
-------------------------
Total:  654   651   356  Total Score = 464,580

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Seems like every contest lately is a new challenge. We have not had many
thunderstorms this year but so far we have managed to have one for nearly every
major contest and this one was no exception. First one came through Friday
evening and though it contained no major lightening, the rain static and static
discharge from the antennas made things tough for several hours. The big one
came late Saturday afternoon. A loud nearby thunder clap got my attention and I
disconnected everything as quickly as I could. Then the bottom fell out of the
clouds - 2 inches of rain fell, most of it in 30 minutes. In a little over an
hour it had passed by and I was able to get back on the air.

After the storm the low bands, especially 80, were unusually good for
mid-summer from Texas with 20 contacts and 16 multipliers compared to 4 and 4
last year. I'll be lucky if half of them survive the log checking though as
serial numbers were really difficult to copy through the static.

Saturday morning started off great with an unexpected 10 meter opening although
some with stations strong signals couldn't hear me. That was a precursor of what
happened next on 15 meters. It was like I was suddenly running QRP. Strong
stations CQ'd in my face. When someone did answer they had trouble copying me.
In four hours (1600-2000) I made a total of 15 contacts. I went from being 50
Q's ahead of last year at 1500 UTC to 76 behind at 2100. I did close the gap to
50 by the end of the contest and thanks to the 80 and 10 meter multipliers the
claimed score is slightly higher than 2015.

At least I did not have an unrecoverable computer failure like friend N4TZ.
Unfortunate that WRTC qualification doesn't allow for such a disaster in one of
the major contests. Seems like it would be fairer if only 8 scores could be
counted from the ten 1000 point contests. That would give some flexibility for
things like that or family issues.

I'll be back for WAE Phone but if it were not for WRTC qualification points it
would be a lot less serious effort for me.