[3830] WPX CW TI5W(N3KS) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kamal.sirag@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW TI5W(N3KS) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 01:39:28 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: TI5W
Operator(s): N3KS
Station: TI5W

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1820
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A contest of ups and downs.  Friday night started off very promisingly, good
rate and a nice quiet band here in the tropics. Signals from EU were good, and
later the signals from JA were also good.  I was surprised at the percentage of
mults being worked all through the night, it was much higher than any WPX
contest I have operated before.

Saturday evening started off very well - signals from EU were incredibly loud
for the first hour of the band opening here.  Then suddenly signals were weak
and the band noisy.. obviously old man solar decided to cause some havoc.
Then, to make things worse, a huge group of  thunderstorms came through.  That
is not terribly unusual, both N4YDU and KL9A have operated through some real
doozies here; however in this case the rain was absolutely monsoon like.  The
rain static on the antenna was 30db over s9. And for the first time, I learned
that under these conditions, lightning is a good thing.  It seemed that after
every lightning strike the rain static would disappear for about 15 or 20
seconds and then build up again.  I started was wishing for even more lightning
than we had ha ha..  So, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to all
the callers who must have had the word 'alligator' on their minds trying to
contact Ti5W the second night of the contest (hopefully not the first night ha
ha.)  This won't be one of my cleaner logs, lightning nearby and antenna rain
static tends to turn 'dahs' into dits, and make 'dits' disappear ... After
asking for many many repeats and constant dealing with static and lightning
crashes, the line between what you think you heard and what you should have
heard can get blurry..

The short Sunday afternoon opening was a bit quieter, but signals were not
nearly as strong as at the start of the contest or early Saturday night here.

At the end of the day, it was still a fun contest, and big thanks to everyone
who had the patience to put Ti5W in their log.

73,
Kam  N3KS