[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wparker2@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 05:40:10 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 35.9

------------
  160:    0
   80:    6
   40:   39
   20:  313
   15:   68
   10:   11
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
This contest was the best of times and the worst of times.

On Friday night, I had the opening of a lifetime when for nearly 5 hours I was
able to work all over Europe on 20 Meters, with most of the stations I called
coming back to my 5 watt signal.  Normally on a decent opening of this type I
will work 6 or 8 Europeans and be delighted. But on this one I got over 60.

Then there was Sunday: After coming up from 40 Meters, I worked all day on
20-15-10 and only got out of North America 2 or 3 times!

My DXCC was 59 and my WAZ was 24 which is a decent showing since we lost the
spots. 16% of my Qs were in Europe, with almost all coming on Friday night. 37%
of my Qs were off continent. I don't think I ever heard Europe on 15 Meters.

I slept 3 1/2 hours the first night because of all the action on 20 which went
out to 1:00 AM local time (08:00 Z). I got 5 hrs on the 2nd night, not bad for
77 yrs old. It is much easier to stay awake when the DX is coming in!

My best Q was JT5DX who I found calling blank CQs on 20 Meters on Sat evening.
But I was also delighted to get P33W on 20 M on Friday night. He is very active
in contests, but I can seldom work him at this time of the cycle.

Well that's it until next autumn. I'll be gone on family vacation for the IARU.
The IARU doesn't have much priority when my family tries to get everyone's
schedule together!

73 and see you all before you know it!    ....Bill  W8QZA - W6QU