[3830] WPX CW PJ2T(WI9WI) SOAB HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jhfitzpa@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW PJ2T(WI9WI) SOAB HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 00:13:04 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: PJ2T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Signal Point Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40: 1070
   20:  667
   15:  684
   10:  172
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was my first serious SO AB HP effort in WPX CW at PJ2T since 2008. Since
then I've done a QRP effort, a couple of LP efforts, a 2 person M/2 effort with
my old college roommate N4QQ, and a couple of not quite full time HP efforts all
from PJ2T, plus a M/2 op with K5KG, K1TO and NX4N from J7 in 2011. Last year I
was on the DL following foot surgery and was in a cast, so I operated from our
cabin in the north woods of Wisconsin. As noted by many it was great for the
first half, and not so great the second half. I started out well, but when the
solar event hit it turned into a slog. As I learned all too many years ago when
I was in the army if you keep putting one foot in front of the other eventually
you'll get somewhere. It may not be where you want to be, but it will
definitely be a different place. So I just kept hitting F1 and the Qs kept
coming, just not so fast as I would have liked. I thought the bands had
recovered quite a bit toward the end, but rates were way down, I think because
many casual and also many serious operators had packed it in. Ten and fifteen
were good surprises for me. Ten was open to the US most of Sunday afternoon.
I'd go there and work 20 or 30 stations in about 10 minutes, and then it would
peter out. There weren't just too many people there at any one time. I'd then
go to 15 or 20 for a bit and return to ten about 30 minutes later and work
another 20 or 30. No Europe on ten for me. About 70 percent of my QSOs were
with NA, 20 percent from Europe and most of the rest from SA and JA. I did work
quite a few VK and ZL stations. I missed most of my goals due to the CME. I did
work 1000 6 point QSOs on 40 which was the only goal I achieved. All QSOs were
made running. Not a single S&P QSO was made.

Gear: Old fashioned one radio station. K3, AL-1200 amp at 1KW, WriteLog and
lots of wires and aluminum. PJ2T is not set up well for SO2R.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and answering my requests for endless repeats,
especially on 40 after the CME. The NA beverage was useless due to
thunderstorms in NA and the aurora. All receiving the second night was on the
Eu beverage. There were many NA stations I just couldn't pull out because they
were too weak on that antenna. I apologize.

See you all next year

73

Jim WI9WI at PJ2T