[3830] NAQP SSB W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:29:43 +0000
North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     2
   80:   48    14
   40:  210    42
   20:  437    51
   15:    1     1
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total:  707   111  Total Score = 78,477

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #1

Comments:

Unlike the CW NAQP where 15 and 10 meters were open for several hours I did not
hear anything beyond ground wave despite listening and CQing periodically
through the day.

20 had mostly weak signals until late in the day when most participants had
already migrated to the lower bands. I struggled with a broadband noise that
covered much of 20 until the TV that a club member was preparing to use during
the eclipse was turned off.

Just as I began to finally get a good run going on 40 we had a power outage,
only the second I've ever experienced at W6YX. It lasted just a couple of
minutes but it then took another few minutes to get the desktop computer
rebooted and redo all of the SO2R box and logging setup. Should I take my final
break now since I'd already lost 5+ minutes? Our op in the 10 GHz and Up contest
needed me to help debug the 10 GHz equipment so I decided to take my break to
help him before it got dark.

In retrospect I should have got back on the air since much of the activity had
left 40 by the time I returned.

There was nothing to be heard on 80 when I first checked at 0400. Propagation
was poor, the band was noisy and many to our east had given up and quit by
then. Signals got stronger in the final 20 minutes but few were there.

Like 80, 160 was dead when first checked at 0500. At one point I thought
someone was answering my CQ but it was W9PA CQing on the same frequency. He
never heard me despite many calls. Other than W9PA only CA and NV were
heard/worked on 160.

Our beverage for the east US hasn't worked since at least Field Day and it was
sorely missed in this contest. The noise level was very high on 40/80/160.

73,
-Mike, N7MH