[3830] WPX SSB NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:10:48 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): K3EST N6RO N6WM NA6O W9KKN WA6O WX5S
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: OAKLEY, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:  158
   80:  523
   40: 1362
   20: 1551
   15:  481
   10:  100
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Another fine team effort at RADIO OAKLEY. We didn't expect much from 10 and 15m,
and those bands lived up to that expectation!  However, we did not expect 160
thru 20m to have poor propagation conditions, which led to poor participation
from all parts of the world. Prop. to EU was essentially nil, except for 20m.
One EU, each on 80, 40, and 15m. Worst ever condx. from the west coast. 460 JA's
total, about half of what we had in 2016. High point of the weekend was
welcoming Bill, W9KKN to the team. He did a great job, making nearly 900 Qs,
moving through all five operating positions.  And now, the band news:

10m:  Fruitless CQs on Friday; W9KKN picked up 43 SA Qs mid-day Saturday. WX5S
got another 55 SA and OC on Sunday between 19 and 21Z.

15m:  W9KKN did the heavy lifting on Saturday with 385 Qs.  N6WM hooked up his
Flex 6600M and PGXL amp. to the stack on Sunday, for another 96 Qs, including
the sole EU, Portugal.

20:  As usual, K3EST had the high band total, Iron-Manning 20m all three days.
Band conditions resulted in 600 Qs less than our last MM in 2016. 20 was plagued
by a suspected new powerline noise to the NE.

40:  Despite essentially no EU and lower than normal JA participation, the Q
total was within 70 Qs of our record band score by K1GI in 2013. WA6O manned the
Friday night shift with 787 Qs, WX5S took over Saturday night logging another
447. 265 JAs total, 1 EU, 4 AF.

80: NA6O drove the loop arrays and the 4SQ that Gary rebuilt last year; he did
all of Friday night and the late shift Sunday morning totaling 355 Qs.  W9KKN
manned the 80m station Saturday evening, for another 168 Qs.  This team showed a
60% increase over our 2016 band total!

160: N6RO started out, logging PJ2T (the beacon from that area) just before
sundown Friday eve. W9KKN took over when 15 died, had 73 Qs by midnight. N6RO
took the late shift bringing the first nite total to 99, which was our weekend
total in 2016.  RO did Saturday evening, boosting the total to 139.  After
midnight NA6O activated the SO2R station, carrying the total to 158 while
finishing off 80m.  Prop. on topband was never good, logging only a few big east
coast stations, no AF, 2 SA/CA. Thankfully, the power company had fixed a major
noise source that had plagued our lowband stations for about 3 years. However
that fix unmasked a few minor noise sources that I need to track down.  Had some
precip. noise during the peak hours Sat. evening.  Overall, 160 could have been
worse.

We look forward to better condx to Asia, when we do the JIDX test in 3 weeks.
Thank goodness it will be CW!

Thanks to all for the Qs, especially the 2700 USA and 220 Canadian stations!

73, N6RO