[3830] WAE CW N1LN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N1LN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 13:57:50 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

   80:   30    12    60
   40:  217   215    99
   20:  408   442    86
   15:   51    35    40
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  706   704   285  Total Score = 401,850

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This contest is one of my favorites and the main reason for that is the
inclusion of the QTCs.  For this weekend the QTCs really helped to keep the
action going.  The overall participation seemed to be down which might have been
linked to the band conditions.  Yes, they were not great, but they were good
enough to make QSOs.  What surprised me was the frequent absence of any unworked
stations calling CQ as reported by Skimmer.   That said, the low rates did give
me the opportunity to practice SO2R with dual CQs.

I always need to have a goal before starting any contest.  Based on my
pre-weekend schedule the initial WAE goal was to make 500 contacts.  My schedule
freed up some on Sunday afternoon so when the initial goal was attained early on
Sunday morning I just kept going.   The best band seemed to be 40 meters but I
did not operate late either Friday or Saturday night to take full advantage.  40
opened to EU here well before sunset, around 1600 local time (2000 UTC)Saturday
and Sunday.  With my NE beverages the noise level was below S1 and the signals
from EU were mostly quite strong.  With the low noise level even the ESP signals
were able to get in the log.

Thanks to all for the Qs.

73,
Bruce N1LN