[3830] NAQP SSB W4PK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W4PK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 01:15:02 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:   16     7
   40:   47    19
   20:   31    16
   15:    6     3
   10:
-------------------
Total:  100    45  Total Score = 4,500

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Used DUDE as my name in memory of Bob W4MYA (and I do have a nice "PVRC RUN
'EM" certificate from him for the ARRL 2015 Sweepstakes, which I really
appreciated).

I use N1MM+ and too late I discovered that I would get a run-time error when I
tried to to use SHFT-CTRL-FCN2 to record an exchange using Dude instead of Sam.
I am not a SSB operator anyway so when I got to 100 contacts my voice was pretty
much shot.

Also I did not have much luck when I tried calling CQ with what I had already
recorded for F1.  It was not until toward the end that I was told that my audio
sounded "poor".  I then discovered that instead of routing my canned
messages directly to the mic input they were being routed to my computer
speakers!  My boom mic was picking up the messages from my speakers, and at
least it was loud enough so that my ALC was being activated.  It was easy to fix
by changing the default "playback" setting from the speakers to the
internal sound card that is connected to the mic input.

I now remember that I selected the speakers as the default output to be able to
hear DX spots from DX4WIN.  As I had mentioned earlier, I just am not
comfortable with using SSB!

73, Sam W4PK