[3830] NAQP SSB K7RL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K7RL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 07:35:39 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    5     4
   80:   85    25
   40:  349    54
   20:  594    54
   15:    6     4
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total: 1041   143  Total Score = 148,863

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team:

Comments:

ME: "What is going on with 15m? Do I start here or what?"

This is the big question prior to the starting bell. Heard good signals from
N4OX in FL and a few stations in TX. Good enough to create a glimmer of hope
that 15m might be fun again. Unfortunately, beyond those signals, 15m didn't
sound fun.

ME: "Okay, you only heard a few signals, but you know once the contest
starts there will be more action. Stick around for a few minutes and see what
happens."

I did that, but 15m wasn't going to budge for me, so I quickly moved to 20m and
tried to pick off stations on 15m with the other radio. That proved futile
because not many were calling CQ, and the loud guys I heard were calling other
guys I couldn't hear - crap. So that's the story of how you end up with 4 mults
and 6 Qs on 15m.

20m was great for the first few hours then fell into the toilet. Signals went
down and static crashes went up. A poor combo. The other problem was trying to
make the transition from 20m to 40m without sacrificing rate. It's obvious 20m
was losing stations to 40m, but when it's only 5:30 PM and doesn't get dark
until 9:30 PM, it's a problem.

So I limped along and screamed into the microphone hoping guys could hear me on
40m when the sun is still shining. I don't remember the exact time, but it was
like a switch flipped and suddenly everyone could hear me. I finally joined the
low band party. The same thing happened on 80m.

Always a fun contest with great operators. I am saddened to learn that W4MYA is
a silent key. Nice tribute by all the DUDES on the air today. I didn't know
W4MYA personally, but worked him in a zillion contests. He will be missed.

Thanks to all for the Qs!

73, Mitch, K7RL