[3830] NAQP SSB VP5/K4QPL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl2@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB VP5/K4QPL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 16:22:41 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: VP5/K4QPL
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5/K4QPL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VP5
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   38    19
   20:  203    44
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  241    63  Total Score = 15,183

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Hadn't planned to be at Harbour Rock in Turks & Caicos for this one so it
wasn't on the list for my contest call sign license VP5M. So using VP5/K4QPL was
not easy on SSB. BIGGA MISTAKA! as Jimmy Buffet would say. Was also difficult at
the beginning honoring W4MYA with "DUDE". But I'll take that anytime
and was great to hear so many more "BOB" and "DUDE"
exchanges.
10M and 15M were nonexistent down here.
20M was weird as the skip was long enough that I was hearing everyone in North
America at the same time, even if they weren't hearing each other. So there were
no clear frequencies. So I took the road less traveled and started calling CQ.
Considering the band and low power ran pretty well for a while on 20M although
my SSB skills are nothing to write home about. Thanks for the patience, guys,
which I might also attribute to being a unique mult ;-)
Was pretty tired from getting up at 6 a.m. to do some outdoor projects before it
got too hot. When 20 slowed down I took the Margarita and dinner break before
coming back to see what great things I'd do on 40M. Think again! Band was noisy
and weak and all I could do was S&P the strongest stations and hand out
mults. Somewhat easier as many already had my full call in their log from 20M.
But that didn't last long. Tried to grab a run frequencies but that got drowned
out after a handful of 40M Q's. So scanned the band another time. Listened on
80M and heard a couple of the big guys but they couldn't hear me so QRT around
0250.
Again, it was an honor to be called "Dude!" again for one night but
would have exchanged them all for another Q with 'MYA. "Run 'em!"
73,
Jim, K4QPL