[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:51:16 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  148    24  Total Score = 4,944

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Got a late start Saturday due to an antenna I had lent out.  Did my usual rove -
Signal Peak in Newport Beach (Dm13), then to Signal Hill (DM03) and finally
Scholl Canyon baseball fields in Glendale (DM04).
On Sunday my usual spot by the Egyptian Coptic Church in Pomona (DM14) was
taken, due to a large festival there.  Had to settle for a much lesser location
at a Wendy's by the 57 freeway.  This cost me some points.  I finished up at the
Torrey Pines Gliderport (Dm12).  It has an interesting mix of surfers and
homeless, but I made a lot of contacts there.
This contest was a huge confidence builder after having my worst ever June VHF.
I broke my personal best for Sept by far. I got my VHF Contest groove back.
THankfully, I did not have to deal with FT8 this time, because almost no one was
on it. The big story was the large number of newbies on FM.  I found that when I
put up my beams, that I started waking up the HT's in people' living rooms.
QSOs by mode:  SSB 97, FM 49, CW 2 FT8 zero!
Operating time above includes 5 hours driving time.
I need to figure out how to work mults outside the local area, so I can compete
nationally.  My best QSO was with Gene WB9COY in San Diego from Glendale on 222
with hndhelds on both ends!  Thanks to the following for many multiple QSOs:
K6MUG, N7WLS, WB9COY, K6LMN/R and N6RPM.
We will see what happens with the new version of FT8 in the January Contest.
tnx & 73,
Tim N6GP/R