[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:33:26 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:   30     7       12
   80:   64    14       36
   40:  134    25       62
   20:  294    26       91
   15:  188    21       72
   10:   50    10       18
------------------------------
Total:  760   103      291  Total Score = 817,156

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

CQ COUNTER: 344
            RUN/SEARCH: 10/755 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 504

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.73.6 http://www.tr4w.net

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160SSB        31           30       58        12         7
  80SSB        64           64      154        36        14
  40SSB       134          134      364        62        25
  20SSB       295          294      837        91        26
  15SSB       190          188      524        72        21
  10SSB        51           50      137        18        10

 Totals       766          760     2074       291       103

    Final Score = 817156 points.

                               2018 CQ-WW-SSB N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     3     1     1     1     4     2    12
   Canada calls =    14    21    16    13     6     0    70
       NA calls =     9    14    19    30    22     7   101
       SA calls =     4     9    31    44    48    41   177
     Euro calls =     0    12    50   176    87     0   325
  African calls =     0     5     6     9    11     0    31
    Asian calls =     0     0     0     5     2     0     7
    Japan calls =     0     0     1    11     0     0    12
    Ocean calls =     1     1     9     4     9     1    25

    Total calls =    31    64   134   295   190    51    765

The soybeans in my hayfield have not been harvested yet, so no
receiving antennas, and no four square on 80 and no verticals
for 160. Dipole on 80 and inverted L  on wrong side of tower
for 160 definitely hurt the low band totals.

Finally got the cables connected to the fixed tribanders on the
new back tower. It was nice to switch direction without having
to worry about rotators not turning! One TH7DX is better than
a stack of monobanders that point in the wrong direction.

Top 10/15 overshot the stop on its ring rotator and is now stuck
on VP6D. At least I worked him on 10 meters!

The "gotchas" with the IC7610 continue.  Had problems for the
first 3 hours of the contest with losing receive audio when I
switched to the other radio.  Every time I switched back to the
7610 I had to fiddle with the audio knob and received a blast
in the ears. I was taking the audio from the speaker jack on the
back panel, just like with every other radio I have ever had.
SO, I plugged a second pair of headphones into the front jack of
the 7610 and had receive audio for the rest of the contest.
I did not have an extension audio cable to move the SO2R wiring
from the back to the front of the 7610.  SO2R now became
SO2H, Single OP Two Headsets....

Then, Sunday afternoon I had another problem related to the
7610. I was using the USB audio input to receive the prerecorded
transmit messages from TR4W. Suddenly, the rig was going into
transmit following the PTT signal from the logging program, but
no transmit audio! Furthermore, while troubleshooting the problem,
I heard a "DANG" in the headset, so found out the mike was live
at the same time as the USB audio.....  Spent a couple of hours
Sunday troubleshooting, finally hooked up my WRTC laptop and got
the USB audio working again. But, the laptop has no parallel ports
so the antenna switching and SO2R switching had to be done by
hand, which is very risky when you are used to automation!
Luckily, it is hard to hurt things with 100 watts.

Also had a problem with the 40 meter beam which was intermittant
on Friday night and not working at all Saturday night or Sunday,
The Cushcraft at 61 feet had to take up the slack, but it is a
lot down from the 3 element on top of the tower.

I hope someone has a much bigger USA LP score than N9NB because
I hate losing when I'm close. I am pretty accepting when I
lose by a lot, but close losses really bring out the "woulda,
coulda, shoulda" regrets. But, congratulations to whomever wins.