[3830] ARRLDX CW K7QA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K7QA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 21:11:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K7QA
Operator(s): K7QA
Station: K7QA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:   35    25
   80:  126    54
   40:  140    47
   20:  369    87
   15:   27    18
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  697   231  Total Score = 475,398

Club: Big Sky Contesters

Comments:

Spent most of this one listening and working the low bands doing S&P for new
DXCC hits with spotter assistance. Telnet scanner feeds into the N1MM bandmap,
along with the IC7300 bandscope/waterfall on a big screen with call labels sure
makes that easier.

Put in 25 hours of BIC and focused mostly on 80 and 160, so score and rate were
not a priority. Plus my HF beam rotator failed about a month ago in our brutal
MT winter, stuck pointing SE. Not optimal for working EU or JA.

15 was open here just barely, only to spotlight regions. Mostly SA and the
Caribbean plus KH, EA8 and CU4. But the sigs were weak just above the noise. On
the other hand, some of the NE USA and FL stns were very loud.

20 was indeed a nice surprise with a very solid early and strong EU opening both
days. And it kept going until mid afternoon. It was so early I missed some of it
working 40 instead with the new 2 ele 40m yagi and working rotator. It was fun
to work EU mid afternoon on 40. Half of my 40m Qs were EU. I know you midwest
and east coast boys don't think that's remarkable, but it's typically not that
easy out here in a propagation black hole.

Didn’t spend as much time on 20 as I should have, but did manage a few short
JA runs and busted a few big pileups for some juicy ones: ZR2A, V51YJ, 5P8X, and
SV9DJO. Snagged YV1KK, V84SAA and PY0F on both 160 and 80. Worked 3 EU on 160
and 30 EU on 80. I think we worked every station called on all 3 bands except a
DS4 and a BD4 on 80. Surprisingly, there were very few pileups or many stations
calling the better DX on 160 and 80. Much fun and tnx for the Qs.

QA