[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 19:19:36 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 14.6

  160:    0     0
   80:   13     9
   40:   21    10
   20:   75    32
   15:   33    19
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  144    71  Total Score = 30,672

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Conditions were pretty bad. I felt claustrophobic only working stations in North
and South America and nearby Asia and Oceania. Not one European or Africa Q! I
heard one weak Euro on 20 M the first day and four or five on the second day. I
spent all day Sunday working between one and four Qs an hour, struggling in the
pile ups on Caribbean stations.

N1MM+ shows only 14.6 hours op time. I did a full effort on this contest
sleeping 3 1/2 hours the first night and 4 1/2 the second night. But I spent
hours tuning and calling without a Q which N1MM+ counts as "off
time".

My best Q by far was working T32AZ on 80 Meters. I found him calling weak blank
CQs and once I managed to figure out his call I got him on the first try! My
numbers on 80 are much better with the new inverted L.

I also managed to get AH2R on 40 Meters, and got a tremendous, much needed
"ego boosting" comment from the kind op at PJ4G when he said my 40
Meter signal from CA was "Booming". I was using my low DX-LB trap
dipole with an SWR of 2.9 at the time. Must have been on a very rare peak!

15 and 20 Meters were the usual for weak condx with no Qs out of the ordinary.

I checked 10 Meters numerous times both days and found the magic only once when
I heard and worked PY5IN and PY5SAT in a couple minutes on Saturday. ....and
that was it!

My DXCC was only 37 and my WAZ was a feeble 16. I had 95 off-continent Qs. In
good years, my DXCC is in the 80s or 90s and WAZ in the mid to high 20s.
....but that was then!

I have said it before and will repeat it now, it's still fun!!

73 and see you in WPX SSB. I'm thinking of using a club call NA0CW but it seems
that with all the special calls that even a W6 can be a good prefix.

...Bill  W6QU - W8QZA - NA0CW ??