[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 16:10:49 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 35.1

------------
  160:    1
   80:   38
   40:   63
   20:  160
   15:   23
   10:    2
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Condx were not good, but I've seen worse. I was able to get into Europe for 6 Qs
compared to only one last year. As is common with WPX, most of my Qs (57%) were
with USA stations.

My best Q was on Friday night when I found YJ0CA calling lonely CQs on 20. This
is the one big advantage I have living way out here in the southwest corner: I
occasionally find some weak, uncommon South Pacific station calling lone CQs and
get him in one call! I decided to spot him despite the fact that I am in the
unassisted category. (I promise I didn't look at any spots, which is useless for
a QRP station anyway!)

Other good Qs were RW0A in Zone 18 and RM9I in Zone 17 both which are tough,
over the pole Qs for me.  I was also delighted when N7GP dug me out from AZ for
my only 160 M Q!

80M  This inverted L is so much better than the old HF-2V. Last year I had 9 Qs
on 80 vs. 38 this year!

40M  This 1/4 wave vertical was made out of the old HF-2V. 63 Qs this year vs 44
last year.

20M  This was the "go to" band, of course. The 6 Europeans were all
worked on this band and came at odd times like afternoon when I thought Euro
propagation was well over!

15M  Only So America and KH6! Never heard Europe, ...or anything else for that
matter!

10M  It took many visits to 10M to finally squeeze 2 PY Qs out of it!!

DXCC only 35 ...but only 33 last year.  WAZ only 22 ...but only 18 last year.
And 80 "off-continent" Qs (28%) vs 83 last year.  Have we turned the
corner on the sunspot cycle??!

Op time was 35.1 hrs without my paying much attention to it any more since I
seem to need a bit more sleep at 79 yrs old! I got 3 1/2 hrs the first night and
6 hours the second. But I am getting smarter about WHEN to sleep.

Well I guess the contest season is winding down, with only the WPX CW over the
next 6 months. I guess I better find something else to do, HI! Time to get to
know the grand kids again!

73,   Bill  W6QU - W8QZA