[3830] CQWW VHF WB8WKQ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF WB8WKQ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 22:05:02 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  41     33
    2:   3      3
-------------------
Total:  44     36  Total Score = 1,656

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I have a very poor antenna system for six and two meters.  My six meter is a
beam that is literally sitting on my deck.  My two meter is a beam up over 60
feet, but is polarized vertically for repeater work.  So, my goal was to just
beat the previous years totals (and of course this all depends on conditions
too).  But, indeed it looks like I squeaked out a few additional Q's (maybe 3)
and a few extra mults (maybe five), so I'm a happy boy about the contest.  But,
what totally thrilled me, is hearing "DX" on two meters.  I've never
worked more than a hundred or two hundred miles on two meters (vertically
polarized).  But was monitoring 144.2 and heard K5QE in Texas (he never heard me
on six or two, BTW).  But then heard and actually worked N0YK and N0LL both in
Kansas.  What a thrill for me.  Probably old hat to you VHFers, but very
exciting for me.  I heard a Colorado station also, who was very loud.  Every
contact was a chore, so thanks for those who pulled me out of the mud.  Saturday
was pretty good from 2 pm till about 6 pm.  Sunday was dead all day except for
the last hour of the contest.  Fun time!