[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:36:12 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  142    44  Total Score = 7,832

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I called ahead at the base of the mountains to make sure the Keller Peak Fire
Lookout was open, and it was.  I was elated to make it all the way to the top,
past the gate that had been locked during June VHF.  They told me it had been
still closed in June due to winter storm damage.  I had a little time to tour
the fire lookout.  The volunteer there actually invited me to operate from the
lookout, but I was not prepared to climb the narrow stairs with my gear.
Fantastic location, but blocked to the east by San Bernardino Peak.
What a surprise to have an Es opening in September!  3 of them in fact.  To me,
this was like a second running of June VHF for 2019.  Fantastic opening to Texas
and Lousiana.  Keller peak yielded some extra mults, which was my intention.  I
got W7OJT on both 2 and 6. Also worked David N7RK in DM33 on 2m, plus a DM05,
giving me my most ever mults on 2.  I stayed there over 3 hours, which was maybe
too much.
Went down to Diamond Bar for DM13 and got in on the 2nd Es opening on 6, mainly
to W0 land, and as far as northern Michigan!  Not much activity on the higher
bands from the locals. Got kicked out of the park at 8PM local.
Got on Signal Hill Sunday morning for DM03, and worked a lot of locals, plus
W7MEM.   Hindsight being 20/20, I should have gone to Huntington Beach just over
the line to DM13 to work the locals, because the activity was still high at that
point.
Instead, I chose to go to the Santa Monica Mountains for DM04.  Google
directions sent me to the wrong spot for Saddle Peak, and I had to go back down,
and up the other side. When I finally got to that intersection of Stunt Rd and
Saddle Peak, the local activity had died out to almost nothing. All that driving
time for 15 QSOs!
I decided to re-visit Diamond bar for the close of the contest. Good activity at
the end of the contest, including FM.  Got in on the Es opening to Oregon.
Made 49 FT8 QSOs vs 93 on phone (ssb + FM).  Again FT4 not a factor.
Q's by Grid"
DM03  41
DM04  15
DM13  44
DM14  42
Next year I need to increase operating time, and reduce driving time. My
personal best score for Sept, but just shy of last year's record for QSOs.
Much less FM activity this year.
Thanks for the Q's
Tim N6GP/R