[3830] CQ160 CW VE3CV Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjw5257@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE3CV Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 18:32:48 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: EN 73el
Operating Time (hrs): 17:28

Total:  QSOs = 383  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 53  Total Score = 218,463

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

We wait all year for this one...and Wow!  What a blast for first ever SOHP entry
with my newly acquired on New Years Day, original era Ameritron AL-80A and 650W.
 Enough of LP frustration for the last 12 years.  So, despite the huge noise
from a major rain event on Friday night and the local wind generators doing
their thing, I was able to work most of what I heard.  Even CE2LR way up at
1890.5 under the loudest wind generator birdie.

The Beverages and BOGs worked great and kept me busy manually switching antennas
and the PreAmp for the BOGs.  A new RX Antenna switch arrangement is being
planned!

Best one minute was at 0207Z Sunday - 4X2M, LZ9W, TC0X each with one call.
Amazing opening to Zone 20....barely heard on first night. Too much fun. ATNO
for 160 (#148) - LU8DPM finally with an amp!  I hoped to work Korea and
Mongolia, but they were constantly covered by QRM from NA CQ machines. Sad.

So best CQ160CW ever for me for mults and DX and all Assisted S and P.
Sounds like everyone had fun with non stop stations to work on 160, unlike our
current non-contest days.  The Contest Online Score kept me in the chair with
some good races.  In a single band contest, why would you not turn on score
reporting in N1MM....if you have an extra monitor.

Thanks for the Qs and great ears out there.
73
Jeff VE3CV

STATION:

Elecraft K3 with Diversity RX running 40W into Ameritron AL-80A for 650W out.

TX
80m doublet inverted V with ladderline to the in shack tuner used as top loaded
vertical at 55ft apex above steel workshop. 16 radials.  Ugly but effective!

RX
600ft Temporary Beverages for 340°, 90°, 22° deg
200ft "BOGs", actually raised 1 foot off ground (and snow) for 270°,
180°, and unterminated bidirectional 45°/225°