[3830] Volta RTTY KG4IGC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Volta RTTY KG4IGC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 15:25:12 +0000
                    Volta RTTY DX Contest - 2020

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: South Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 10:55

   80:   27    12
   40:   77    27
   20:   93    35
   15:    3     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  200    77  Total Score = 28,366,800

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first time this year that I tried to put in a major effort of BIC
since my wife (KG4NKG Sarah) had two surgeries on her leg to replace her bad
hip.Spent most of the day on twenty meters, as it was the only band that was
open for the better part of the day. 20 was very unstable, kept opening and
shutting down all day. Worked a combo of EU and Stateside for the better part of
the day on 20.Used my GAP Challenger for the better part of the morning as the
loops just were not cutting the mustard. Was pretty surprised at the good
results.

 Had an opening to South and Central America around 1330 GMT, worked HP3SS in
Panama and also PZ5RA in Surinam. Europe was coming and going, got to work
Latvia around 1500 GMT and heard but was unable to work  a few stations from the
Middle East around Noon due to pile ups and QSB. A71AE was working stations left
and right, seemed that he was working a lot of EU. Worked OG66X in Finland and a
station from Denmark as well. The band remained iffy for the better part of the
day, so decided to take a lunch and nap break until 1800 GMT.

15 meters and 10 was dead all day, with the exception of a couple of stations on
15. Got to work KH6ZM at 1810 on 15 meters, he had a pretty strong signal to the
East coast.

I tried off and on during the day to run, but was having better luck doing
S&P. Started using the horizontal loop around 2050 GMT with much better
results into EU. To show how hard it was to make Q's on 20, I only had 64
stations logged at 2100. Finally got a pretty decent run in on twenty meters
between 2100 and 2200, with a mix of EU and US stations from New England and to
the mid-west.

Switched over to 40 meters after dinner, and did a combination of running and
S&P. Worked a ton of stateside and some EU. There was a small opening to
South America around 0130, worked YV4ABR in Venezuela and a station in Brazil.

80 meters was not very good, worked mostly stateside and a few EU stations. Got
to work fellow Swamp Foxes Bill N4IQ and Ted K7OM (Didn't Bill & Ted have an
Excellent Adventure?) Also worked a Covid 19 SES call OH2STAYATHOME on 20 and 40
meters.  40 and 80 started to die around midnight so finished my goal of 200 Q's
and shut everything down. Many TNX to all the guys who worked me, see you in the
next contest!

Rig: Yaesu FTDX 3000
PWR: 100 Watts
ANTS: 272\' Horizontal Loop, 20/40 Super Loop x2, Ground mounted GAP Challenger,
Maco V5/8 Vertical, Hex Beam

Live in South Carolina and love to contest? Join South Carolinas premier Contest
Club! Check us out @ swampfoxcontestgroup.com