[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 19:29:54 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: California
Operating Time (hrs): 36.0

------------
  160:    1
   80:   26
   40:   66
   20:  251
   15:   80
   10:   19
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Welcome to the 12th week of quarantine! Very strange to have a scarcity of
Caribbean stations, presumably due to the travel restrictions resulting from
COVID-19.

Condx were generally not good. There was a great 20 M opening to Europe on
Friday night where I got 21 of my 25 European Q's. But the rest was pretty
normal for bottom of the cycle.

DXCC for the contest was 39 this year compared to 60 last year. Off-continent
Q's dropped to 72 from 122 last year. European Q's dropped to 25 from 67 last
year. WAZ was 22 slightly down from 23 last year. In contrast, USA Q's jumped to
320 from 225 last year.

So I can summarize by saying lots more USA stations and lots less actual DX!

10M: All USA except for CE6SAX who I worked with surprising ease. Where were the
rest?

15M: I was glad to get 3D2AG and 5W1SA in the log. They are regular contesters
and I'm always delighted to hear them. I never got into Europe. I did hear
eastern Europe from time to time, but too weak to work.

20M: Pretty normal stuff here. I managed to get D4Z in the log along with
everyone else judging by the numbers he gave out! He has incredible ears, and he
always seems to hear me!

40M: My best Q of the contest was getting VK6LW at my sunrise on Sunday AM. Zone
29 is a tough area for me, but if anyone can hear me it is VK6LW! That is 5
watts and quarter wave vertical on 40! Thanks again!

80M: All USA and only one Q out in Zone 5.

160M: Thanks to N7GP in AZ for allowing me to have at least one Q on each band!

Some of the best thrills of these contests come from "winning" these
little battles to get a good Q in the log. There is nothing like it and it is
hard to explain to a non-ham. But that is sure what keeps me going at 80 yrs old
through 4 hours of sleep the first night and 4 1/2 hours the second. These kind
of thrills don't show up in the score but they sure make great memories!

So it's time to shut down for a few months. See you all at the end of September
for CQ WWDX RTTY!  ...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU