[3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 15:40:58 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 17

Total:  QSOs = 1406  Sections = 81  Countries = 42  Total Score = 446,124

Club:

Comments:

LIGHTHEARTED POKE AT REMOTE CONTESTERS (all in fun)

At NR4M, our mascot is a goat.
Steve fields a big station, but not from remote.

If the temp’s below 80, KC1XX needs a coat.
Matt has a big signal, but not from remote.

Jeff groans that these contests have all become rote.
He is the King of Topband, but not from remote.

To get to his station, DG rides a boat.
He hears really well, but not from remote.

After each contest, I send GD a note.
Their gang has great fun, but not from remote.

From the window by my rig, I watch the sailboats float,
Because during the contests I don’t go remote.

For Most Dedicated Op, AA1K has my vote.
He is the Topband Beacon, but not from remote.

CONTEST SUMMARY

At 5:30 PM local time Saturday, the ACOM 2000A started periodically tripping
into a Fault condition.  The message indicated "Relay is open.  Should be
closed."  I tried backing off to about 800 watts but it still would trip
every several minutes.  The antenna load is fine.  Sometimes these amps are too
smart for themselves, or for me.  I stopped operating at 6:30 PM local time with
13 hours of darkness left in the contest.

The beginning of this competition is the most stressful of all.  First, you need
to pick a frequency that you are prepared to live with.  Losing it or moving is
not an option.  So if you choose poorly, then bad luck.  Second, at K3ZM the
start of this event means you have NA stations calling you at a volume that
would permit a 200 hour - but at the same time there are many EU stations
calling.  Now is the time to work them!  The band is still quiet, signals from
EU are good, and furthermore most of them will be going to bed soon - this is
not "their" contest.  This year put an exclamation point on that
condition as my rates were higher than ever for this affair, apparently because
of the pandemic.  Here are the hourly rates.

157  with about 25 different countries worked in this first hour

At bedtime Saturday morning, I had 1,273 QSOs, 39 countries and 81 sections with
a score of 381,480.  This was by far the highest number of contacts ever at this
point in the ARRL 160 for me.  I had worked 200 EU's - that is not very many.  I
got KH6 and KL7 but no JA and no other Pacific.  It was really a struggle for me
to stay awake and keep going that first night.  If nothing else, I was tired
from working so many stations.

I was back on the air at 3PM local time Saturday.  The first EU into the log was
PA0WRS at 2039Z.  This sunset opening provided a decent little run of EU's as I
put 51 more into the log for a total of 251 EU's for the contest.  As noted
earlier, 2330Z marked the end of the contest for me.

There did not seem to be as many countries on this time.  Best DX worked was
probably the two PY stations!  No UA9 or UA0, no Middle East.  I worked one
Asian station that must have been a P3.  Not much to write home about.

Thanks for all the contacts.

73,

Peter  K3ZM