[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:15:46 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 31.8

------------
  160:    2
   80:   32
   40:   54
   20:   95
   15:   45
   10:   13
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

After the first two hours of this contest things were going so poorly that I was
ready quit. Then things got better with the night bands and as the sun rose on
Saturday AM I had actually caught up and surpassed last year's performance.

I had a very clear best QSO in this contest: ZS6CYY on 40 Meters. I was using my
DX-LB trap dipole that is only up 30 feet. That's almost half way around the
world with 5 watts from here on the West Coast, ...on 40!!!

Other than that QSO, the rest of the contest was pretty regular. In general, my
score and DX statistics were up about 20% from last year.  DXCC was only 30 and
WAZ was 18. Only 60 Qs were off continent.

10 Meters: All 13 Qs were South America and Oceania. Best here was E51JD.
Chatting with Jim for a few minutes is always a nice break from all the contest
Qs!

15 Meters: All North and South America and Oceania. I never heard Europe or even
Japan!

20 Meters:  Only weak Europe until about noon on Sunday. Suddenly there was II8K
BOOMING in!!  I got him on one call and minutes later got OM3IM the same way.
But that was it for Europe. Sort of a brief propagation anomaly! The rest was No
& So America, Oceania, and Japan.

40 Meters: Just No America with a few Oceania and Japan. ...and then, of course,
there was ZS6CYY!

80 Meters: Just USA with a couple VE and XE. Not even one KH6!

160 Meters:  I actually had TWO Qs on this band, and I think that is an SSB
contest record with my feeble 160 antenna. ND7K is my "Old Faithful",
a remotely operated contest station in AZ, about 250 miles away, who can always
dig me out! And this time I got NR6O about 300 miles away in CA. Thanks to both
of you for your patience!

So, even though condx were rough, there always seems to be a few Qs that make it
all worth it!  I wonder if anyone else noticed the lack of the 5th call area in
this contest? That area is normally a pipeline for me. Late in the contest I
actually heard a large pile-up on N5GF! I had to come back later to add that
mult to my score!

Well, that almost winds up the contest season. See you in the WPX CW.

...Bill  W6QU - W8QZA