[3830] WPX CW W4IX(@K4MM) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, JRCCCD@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W4IX(@K4MM) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:45:58 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX K4MM
Station: K4MM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 46

------------
  160:    5
   80:   54
   40:  765
   20:  693
   15:  480
   10:  122
------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Went to Fla. on 5/27 to rebuild some antennas and replace some old coax. Also
drove to Ocala to pick up an AL82 Amp I purchased form Jim, KM4HI. I pretty much
stayed busy with not much sleep since there was also alot of family at K4MM's at
the same time. I got most everything completed and Tom and I decided we were
going to do a not so serious M2. We had a TS590SG and and FT1000. About70 Q's
into the contest we realized the 2nd radio ( low power - 100 watts ) was not
interfaced anymore. Instead of trying to fix it we just went aheead and did a
one radio effort, I would run an hour or so anf Tom would S&P for a bit. We
alternated the entire weekend in between hanging out with some family and
friends on the back porch eating some good food and drinks. Murphy was no
stranger this weekend also. I swung the A4S to Japan and when I hit any key on
the keyboard, N1MM would lock up. I couldn't find the source at first so I just
kept the antenna 360 to 240 deg. I was also getting some strange signal loss
everytime I turned the rotor. I just put on a new balun and coax on the A4S and
went back upo and everything looked ok. Couldn't figure out why it was acting
this way. Also lost my F Key functions a times on my wireless keyboard, could
not get it back until I rebooted the computer. Replaced the KB with a Hard wired
KB and still happened. Well in the course of trying to figure out why this was
haapening, I just happened to turn the power to the rotor box off and I found
this cured my lock up issue with the F Keys so I turned the antenna to Japan and
now it would not lock up when transmitting with the F Keys. Turned the power
back on and it locked up again. Well we just continued working till the end. I
will say that it was nice to have 15 and 10 meters back with ok signals. 20
meters was open the entire 48 hours and I will say that this was the best ever
40 meter results from the K4MM station. Ended up with a 3.8 pts per Q average
which never even came close in the past. The day after the contest I was doing
some clean up work in the shack before it was time to head to the airport. I
revisited the intermittent signal issue ( which only affected 20 & 40 meters
) and discovered that the 40ft. Rohn 25 tower was never grounded. I ran to Home
Depot and bought an 8ft copper ground rod and some clamps. When I was putting it
in the ground, the first 2 feet I was aboe to push in by hand, the next 6 inched
were hard, then another foot of easy pounding before I had to really pound the
last 4 feet really hard to get it in the ground. I attached the clamps and a #6
piece of bare copper wire and it cleared up all the issues. It looks like it
also changed the SWR on the 20 and 40 meter ( 40 meter add on kit to the A4S )
bands form 1.5 to 2.5. I will have to retune the coils on another future visit.
Some really nice scores out there form ND7K, NA2U, NI4W and KW1K. Also nice job
by my friend Martin, N4UU. Thanks for all the Q's and see everyone in the CQWW
tests from ND7K.