[3830] ARRL June VHF K3DNE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3dne@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K3DNE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:16:47 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  422   141  Total Score = 59,502

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Thank goodness for 6m - the magic band and SSB or else this would have been
another boring point and click digital contest. The Sunday morning/early
afternoon opening to VE1, VE2, VE3, New England and mid-Atlantic was epic on SSB
(although not as good as last year). N1MM rate meter hit 300 q's/hr for 1
minute, 204/hr for 10 minutes and 152/hr for 60 minutes! That was fun! I did
work some DX 1 EA on SSB, an I on CW the rest (EA,CT,F,EA8,PJ,6Y,HK) on FT8/FT4.
Unfortunately, for me, the sporadic E opening was spotty to the west, no
double-hop to the west coast. Due to the excellent 6m openings, 2m was not very
active on any mode and I spent less time on 2m than anticipated. My love/hate
relationship with FT8 continues. 25% of my QSO's were on FT8/4 - if not for the
6m SSB opening that % would probably be 75% or more (yuk). It serves a purpose -
I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to work the DX without it - but at what
price? Several times I tried to arrange skeds on 2m with stations in the
mid-Atlantic but was told that due to the FT8 QRM not to bother. I'm still
advocating for a Legacy (SSB,CW,FM only), Digital only and Mixed Mode (Legacy
Plus Digital) categories to be added (like the ARRL 10m contest)to the ARRL VHF
contests.

6m: FTDX101D, Quadra amp (500w digital, 1KW SSB/CW) new homebrew 4 elements on
12ft boom via Yagi-Cad at 30ft and KIO Hexbeam (2el) at 50ft.
2m: FT1000MPMKV, Kuhne xvtr, Lunar Link Amp (750w digital, 1KW SSB) 12 el M2 at
23ft.
N1MM+ logger (still needs further integration with wsjt-x, computer and
soundcard and rigs). Couldn't get 2m MSK144 to decode - ugh).