[3830] ARRL June VHF KM4KMU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KM4KMU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:22:41 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  118    66  Total Score = 9,108

Club:

Comments:

The grid and Q count entered on 3830 include both FM and SSB with some duplicate
multi's not included in the score claimed as calculated by N1MM.

First time contesting from sea level.  First time in SOLP.
I normally run FM ONLY in Northern VA, a hotbed of FM activity. I have on
several occasions scored much higher in FM Only where I have a lot more QSO's
but a lower multiplier count.
I knew this would be a learning experience going in and that I would get crushed
no matter what I did.  This weekend the whole point was walking a mile in
someone else's shoes (Sea Level) while dipping my toe into a "big
time" category (SOLP).

FM ONLY the score would have been just 369.
SSB Only the score would have been 6464.
With the two combined I was 9,106.
FM added a bunch of QSO points and two or three multipliers.

Being at sea level in an urban area FM was generally limited to 15 miles except
when working stations over the Chesapeake Bay where 50 miles was common.  The
only FM highlight was working W4IY (4000 ft ASL) on 223.500 FM at 150 miles
(they were on an omni at 25W).

SSB was good on Saturday as were the pickings on 146.520 FM. FM was very slow
Sunday since I had worked most stations already.  Sunday morning e-skip was very
very exciting as many I am sure will discuss.

I wish I had not stayed up so late Saturday and gotten up earlier on Sunday, in
the Jeep at (0800) to catch the start of the 6m opening It was fantastic.
I had a gap of almost 6hrs late Sunday with no QSO's due to having worked almost
all the FM stations already and e-skip dying off for SSB.

If I only had FT-8, that 6 hour gap would not have happened.  FT-8 worked two
weeks ago but I stupidly updated windows Thursday before the contest and FT-8
was no more. FT-8 is essential.

I got so desperate during the 6hr gap that I even tossed out some straight key
SLOW code CQ's on 6m but either no one heard me or they didn't want to mess with
my glacial pace on CW. No regrets there but I am glad I tried.

I have a whole new appreciation for the Urban FM guys who score a few hundred to
a couple thousand points.  Even with my "big FM station" I was one
hurting puppy when it came to local FM. I am going to put more emphasis than
ever on FM pre-coordination and even tiny altitude increases in my FM contesting
presentations and papers.

Highlights for me were working 4 bands FAST with N2NT SSB voice (300 miles
Saturday night), 4 bands including 223.5 FM 25W at 150 miles with W4IY and 4
bands SSB with NG4C.  How can I not easily hear 1KW on 222.100 at 20 miles when
432 SSB had him yelling in my ear?  Oh yes, there is a big city between us.
Multi-path is weird.

VHF/UHF contesting is fantastic.  As expected no paper for the wall this time
but next to my first VHF/UHF contest outing it was the best learning experience
ever.

73
John
KM4KMU