[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 13:29:37 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 41.5
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   94    48
   80:  236    60
   40:  572    88
   20: 1333   105
   15:  830    90
   10:  246    60
-------------------
Total: 3310   451  Total Score = 4,478,430

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First - THANKS to all those who called in - It is very much appreciated.
Saturday was great here with some good openings to EU on 15m and even on 10m.

SUNDAY was a disaster by comparison - 15M was very sporadic and 10m was out of
the question to EU.

Up North you can really FEEL the difference when this happens - so 20m was
really the only place to go to work EU and even this was slow compared to
normal. There were many 80 hours on Sunday compared to 150+ on Saturday.

In addition to the CME. it started snowing around late morning on Sunday and the
wind and snow static made it impossible to hear anything late afternoon on 20m -
except on the lower antennas.  TI7W moved to 10m for me and with the S meter at
10 over S9, I could not even hear him but he did hear me - rats!

When this happens, all you can really do is try to chase mults that you can hear
above the noise and I did alot of that.

20M was wiped by noise, 40m and 80m as well and 160m - well.....it was beyond
the pale for the last 5 hours or so up here.

Near the end, it got a wee bit better and when it was over I was glad to be out
of the chair.  My wife Miriam came down with a beer for each of us and it was
time to unwind when it was all over.

Finally, as some may know, this may well be my last one from up here as we are
making a real push to exit PEI this summer - and if we can manage to sell the
house we will do so.  I've always dreamed of having another contester take over
VY2ZM to continue the tradition of this place but it just never managed to
happen.

I have never operated from such a special place - especially on 160m where
Europeans are almost as strong as they are on 20M - so it will be with really
mixed emotions the day the 160m array comes down.  I have to thank Peter Hutter
WW2Y and Rob Flory K2WI for their help in designing the 160m BS/EF array - 160m
will never be the same after this from down on Cape Cod!!!! EU is 10-15db
weaker down there compared to here overlooking the Gulf of Saint Lawrence....

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS - it has been quite a ride.  And at
the ripe old age of 75 now, it is time to think about joining TEAM K1LZ down at
his new place in MAINE - if he is willing to accept an OLD FART to work 160m for
him.  I am pretty much making this a last hurrah in all band contests from here
on out and maybe doing a few more 160m DxPeditions with K1LZ and YT5A when Covid
allows us to go places again...

73 JEFF  K1ZM/VY2ZM