[3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 21:41:29 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1303  Sections = 80  Countries = 42  Total Score = 372,466

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This running of ARRL 160 started out with somewhat lower rates for me and I
worked fewer EU’s in the first two hours than usual.  Here were my hourly
numbers at the start.

Conditions seemed poor the first night and I worked relatively few EU’s.  It
was the same story going to the West Coast.  I hardly heard any CA stations.
Worked KH6 but no other Pacific for the entire event.  I struggled to get to 948
QSO’s by bedtime Saturday morning, with only 37 countries and 78 States and
Provinces.  My score then was a very weak 256,500.  Probably my lowest ever.  I
never left the chair for any reason from 2130Z Friday until 1335Z Saturday.

Back on the air at 2018Z Saturday where I would stay until 1230Z Sunday.  For
the first four hours, I managed to keep the average rate just at 30 or above.
The sunset opening for EU contacts was disappointing.  When DK1NO is only S-3 at
2300Z, that is a bad sign.  He is typically S-8 or S-9.  Once again, I felt I
had a fine frequency, but conditions were lousy.  I turned to the West and
things were slow.  Then the sun began sweeping across EU.  Most disappointing
was that a number of EU’s were calling me at their sunrise but a storm brought
S-7 QRN right when they were calling.  Very sorry and embarrassed about that.

Worked CX and YV but never worked PY.  I’m not sure I ever worked a station in
Asia.  Missed SB WTX Alaska and of course NT.

A highlight was working brother George, C6ADM from his hotel room in the Bahamas
running low power with a 34 foot wire hanging down from his balcony.  Grateful
for John VY2WW for getting an antenna on the air for 160 after their awful storm
so we could log PEI with Jeff closed down.

Mrs. Santa brought me an early Christmas present – a Geochron with a 33 inch
monitor.  She also bought me WinTest and a WinKeyer and set them up for me.
Gone is the Pentium II processor running at 233 mhz and operating CT under
Windows 98, keying the radio through a DB-25 in the LPT port with a resistor and
transistor.

Thanks for all the contacts, and Merry Christmas.

73,

Peter  K3ZM

FAREWELL TO VY2ZM

We have been blessed with some remarkable 160 meter stations over the years.
There was the 9 element XMIT array at K9DX, which I dubbed the Circle of Pain.
We have had the staggering setup at W8JI, which I affectionately refer to as the
Death Star.  There is AA1K’s multi-element XMIT antenna, or the Delmarva
Dagger.  I suppose WB9Z still has his more-than-full quarter wave series fed
XMIT vertical that will cause hearing damage when you tune across him during CQ
160 SSB.  And then there was Jeff’s 5/8 wave by 1/4 wave full sized vertical
XMIT antenna, with multiple switchable phasing options, overlooking the
saltwater on a very quiet northeast corner of Prince Edward Island.  This one
will be missed the most.  Thanks for all the multipliers, Jeff.