[3830] ARRL FD AI6DO 2B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ai6do@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AI6DO 2B QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 19:55:23 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   42     8       1  Total Score = 1,020

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

As in 2021, I worked only satellites from my Field Day site (a nearby city park)
on Saturday and only worked HF and VHF from that same site on Sunday.

On Saturday, I went to my Field Day site just to make a satellite contact to get
the 100 point bonus. I hadn't been on any of the voice satellites in two years,
but having made thousands of satellite QSOs prior to that it was like falling
off a bicycle. I made FM contacts on the Tevel 7 satellite with two long-time
satellite friends (WD9EWK and KB6LTY) and headed home. Since ARRL Field Day
rules only allow credit for one FM satellite contact, I only counted one of
those in my score; however, both were likely participating in AMSAT Field Day,
where the rules allow for one FM contact on each satellite. I then worked the
International Space Station packet repeater and made a second QSO with WD9EWK
for my only digital contact. Having gotten my satellite bonus out of the way, I
headed home, to return to the site the next morning.

On Sunday, I decided to just rely on a single HF radio (KX3 and PX3) and a
single HT (TH-F6A) rather than two HF radios. I set up a lightweight homemade
linked dipole for 40m, 20m, and 15m and went to work. And it was hard work...
Called CQ numerous times but never got picked up by the Reverse Beacon Network
and didn't receive any calls strong enough for me to hear. As was the case last
year, 70cm was useless due to high noise and 2m had decent action, although
nowhere near as good as in 2021. There was too much crowding on 146.520, with
little heard on the nearby simplex frequencies. After a couple of hours, I was
starting to get a headache and decided to call it quits early.

Total score of 1020 includes 200 bonus points for emergency power on two
stations, 100 bonus points for satellite QSO; 100 bonus points for public
location; 100 bonus points for copying the W1AW CW bulletin; and 50 bonus points
for (pending) web submission. Total operating time was about 15 minutes on
Saturday and 2.5 hrs on Sunday.