[3830] ARRL 10G+ K9PW 10G Plus

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9pw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10G+ K9PW 10G Plus
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:49:41 +0000
                    ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest - 2023

Call: K9PW
Operator(s): K9PW
Station: K9PW

Class: 10G Plus HP
QTH: OH PA WNY WI
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  10G:        54            52686
  24G:        15            10474
  47G:         8             2952
  75G:
 123G:         3               15
 134G:
 241G:
Light:
-------------------------------------
Total:        80            66127  Total Score = 74,127

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

For the August weekend, it was time to go back to Lake Erie.  Tony (K8ZR)
agreed to start with me on Saturday morning near Port Clinton, Ohio (EN81mm).
 The plan was to move east during Saturday & most likely split up at some
point during the day.  Except for the west end of the lake, activity seemed
good.  There was also some enhancement between stations located at the lake
shore.  So, we fell behind schedule because we were busy.  Only five different
locations were used, two of which were new for us.  We never got to the very
popular Perry Park (EN91kt).

In the past, for Sunday in August, we would go to locations between Buffalo
& Rochester.  But this means driving many hours instead of sleeping or
operating. Not good!  So, I decided to get my beauty sleep and to stay along
Lake Erie on Sunday, even though others warned me that activity is down at Lake
Erie on Sunday.  Sure did miss operating with the Rochester guys on Sunday.
Operating alone, nine sites were visited. Most of the locations were new to me,
so some time was lost exploring.  Some sites were good to the west to KB8U
& W8BYA, one site was worthless and the others good to the east.  While
there were very few stations at Lake Erie, there was still plenty of activity in
range around Toronto and western NY.  Total 10 GHz distance points scored was
higher on Sunday than Saturday!  But fewer 24GHz & no 47G meant Sunday's
all band total was less than Saturday.

For the 13th year, the September weekend was at Lake Michigan.  Activity was
down from last year on both sides of the lake due to various reasons.  But it
was still enjoyable, with enough activity to keep busy.  Seven of us (three
full time) were active on the west side of the lake.  The east side also had
around seven stations.  As is fairly typical, there was afternoon lake
enhancement.  So, a few nice 24 GHz contacts were made.  47 GHz should have
been possible across the lake, but no contacts were made.  Was it conditions?
 Dew point at the mid-lake buoys was around 60F.  Or do we still need to do a
better job at pointing our antennas?

This year, I changed my setup from a K3/P3 IF radio located in the van to an
IC-705 mounted with the dish.  This made it much easier to operate away from
the car.  A big benefit.  Unfortunately, the 705's speaker went intermittent
& then failed early during the September weekend.  Fortunately, the speaker
mic still functioned properly.

When portable, operating in groups of two or three seems optimum.  More than
that makes it more difficult to find suitable locations.  Not sure where I'll go
next August.  Two days at Lake Erie would be good.  Or perhaps make the longer
drive to New England for both days?  Haven't been there in a while.

Thanks to all that participated & to the sponsors.