[3830] SS CW N9CO SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N9CO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N9CO SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 15:14:09 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Sycamore, IL.
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

------------
  160:
   80:   61
   40:  540
   20:  240
   15:   63
   10:   22
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

That was fun!  Even after the Sunday slog, there is something about SS that
keeps me coming back for more.  Friends of mine who are avid golfers tell me
that there is no such thing as a perfect round - there is always something to
improve.  This adage applies to SS, as well.

I got off to a slow start - not even 60 q's the first hour.  My single tribander
at 85' is too high for domestic.  All the activity was on the high bands, and
being in the midwest meant that both coasts were coming in.  Where to point the
tribander?

Things settled down after a couple of hours and got into a groove, and the rate
slowly increased.  After a while, I quit worrying about stations that had higher
qso numbers in our exchange and tried everything I could to keep my rate as high
as possible.  Operating SO1R means lots of little runs interspersed with some
frantic S&P.

I forgot about the scoreboard until late Sunday afternoon, and then saw some
local competition (hi Fred, KG9X!) within striking distance.  That added some
additional juice until the end.

It was fun working many of my fellow SMC members, plus others whom I've known
from my NTCC days.  Thank you all for the QSOs!

Icom 7300, 100 watts.  N1MM+ logging.

All antennas supported by a single 84' Rohn 45G tower:

  Cushcraft XM-240 2L 40m yagi @ 95'
  Hy-Gain TH6DXX tribander (20-10m) @ 85'
  Bent wire vertical 80m
  Shunt fed 160m