[3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 14:51:39 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): K0RF KV0Q K4EA N0NR NT6X W1XE W0ZP W8XAL W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

  160:   95    17       43
   80:  289    24       72
   40: 1164    37      130
   20: 1355    38      139
   15: 1709    38      140
   10:  878    35      116
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

So, it’s 22Z (3:00) local time & I’m winding my way up Chuck’s lane to
the ridgetop.  It’s 20 degrees F & we just got about 8 inches of fresh
snow.  As I look up I see Chuck & W8XAL atop the 80M tower, working on the
3el Yagi.  Mike, NT6X, took time from his major league baseball scouting
profession to come over & operate in person.  I ask him what the hell is
going on?  He says they’ve been up there for 2 hours—good grief the contest
itself starts in 2 hours!  Chuck has climbed more than 20 times in the past
month to prepare for this.  At age 81, he’s still the Energizer Bunny, no job
too big.  So, here’s how it all went:

The Night Shift:

160: Covered by Chuck himself & really a tough assignment.  The band did
briefly pop open Saturday night & he was able to snap off ten much-needed EU
mults.

80:  Covered by George, W1XE.  Another tough assignment, but he took what the
band would give us.  A chorus of cheers went up when he and Chuck found &
worked 3B8M in the final minutes Sunday evening.

40:  We had 2 great ops on 40, Mike NT6X & Neal, K4EA who remoted in.  The
band was pretty awful the first night but somewhat better the second.  Another
chorus of cheers went up as Mike worked a VU2 in the last half-hour Sunday
evening.  The importance of QSOs with our Asian friends was, as usual, much in
effect this weekend.

The Day Shift:

20:  When solar numbers go up 20 can sound like daytime 40—you have to bore
down on it & take what it’ll give.  Bill, KV0Q and Glen, N0NR, did just
that.  They were relentless from wire-to-wire & were a veritable lesson in
teamwork.  They took everything the band would give & left nothing on the
table.

15:  W0UA & Wayne, W0ZP (remoting in) did 15.  Saturday was pretty
bad—marginally open to EU--but Sunday was much better & allowed us to get
some of what we missed Saturday.  Mild-mannered Wayne becomes an animal in a
contest, LOL.  His tenacious pursuit of mults paid off again.  And, again, QSOs
with our Asian friends proved critical to our result.

10:  Chris, N4VI & Dave, W8XAL did 10—this was Dave’s first real contest
experience.  They just plain didn’t have a band on Saturday, so they had to
scratch & claw at it.  Again, Sunday was better & they got back some of
what Saturday wouldn’t provide.  They never blinked & finished strongly.

Guess I could just have said that Saturday was bad & Sunday was better.  But
Chuck worked super hard to prepare for this one & all the ops did the same
in the event—praiseworthy in every case.  Doesn’t get much better than
that...

For Chuck & The Team, 73,

Geo  W0UA