[3830] ARRL 160 K1LT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K1LT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 18:40:43 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 1114  Sections = 80  Countries = 22  Total Score = 235,824

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Worst score ever!  Actually, no.  First, I am only comparing scores
from my current QTH, since 2003.  Second, that first year had a lower
score despite more QSOs and more DX only because fewer ARRL sections
existed 20 years ago.

Fixed Stuff:

At the conclusion of the CQ WW CW contest, all of my Alpha amplifiers
were disabled for various reasons:

    K1LT Alpha 8410 - plate choke fried
    K8ND ETO 91B - replacement tubes failed "gettering" process
    K8CC ETO 91B - intermittent weirdness became permanent

Note that I bought the 91Bs from K8ND and the K8CC estate but they
each have a legacy by which I distinguish them.

The 8410 plate choke fried because of accumulated stress due to the
fact that the fault detection circuit faulted in a faultless state.
That is, arcs, bad SWR, too much drive, etc. would simply stress the
amp rather than causing a fault.

The 8410 frying happened Friday before the WW test so I swapped in the
K8CC estate 91B which played fine for 36 hours then abruptly failed by
constantly faulting if any power was applied.

The K8ND 91B was the amplifier on the second radio and has been
exhibiting weak tubes for the last couple of years.  As a second radio
amp, that was not a problem.  When the other 91B became inoperative, I
tried swapping out the weak GU-47B tubes with "new" tubes purchased
in
2003 and sitting on a shelf since then.  With 24 hours of
"gettering",
these tubes still arced and caused hard faults (amp shuts off).  So
scratch one set of tubes.

The K8CC 91B also has a spare set of tubes that are presumably newer
but 48 hours of "gettering" failed to make those tubes operable.
Scratch a second set of tubes.

I put the potentially intermittent K8CC tubes in the K8ND 91B and now
I have an amplifier that puts out almost full power with a unknown
degree of reliability.

The plate choke in the 8410 required an emergency purchase of a roll
of #28 magnet wire which arrived Wednesday.  I rewound the burnt part
of the choke but miscounted turns while rewinding, so there are 15
turns too many.  The extra turns are fine for 160 meters but will
likely cause series resonance issues on the high bands.  So after the
ARRL 160 test, I'll correct the number of turns and test that the
series resonances are not in ham bands.

The faulty fault detector was much more perplexing.  All of the
control functions of the amplifier are handled by a microcontroller
that reads the input and output SWR, plate current and voltage, and
grid current.  Based on these inputs, the controller decides if there
is a fault or not and also displays some of the data on LED bar graph
displays.  Since the SWR displays continue to work correctly, I have
to assume the microcontroller is operating correctly.  Microchips
either work or not; they don't partially work.  I spent a day trying
to understand this problem.

Turns out that there is one more input to the controller: a coarse
input power measurement.  If the controller detects input power, then
the fault detection is enabled.  My input power detector had a busted
diode which meant the fault detector would not detect a fault.

The 8410 uses 1N5711W diodes in a voltage doubler configuration for
the input power detector.  I ordered some 1N5711W from Mouser with
overnight delivery and replaced the bad diode on Thursday which
restored fault detection.  However previous weeks of operating
mistakes have led to a melted blob on a tuning capacitor plate which
still arcs, even though the fault detector trips.  After the 160 test
I have some filing to perform.

Before the CQ WW CW test, something knocked down yet another short
receiving vertical.  Since none of the wires were broken, I replaced
the PVC that broken with brand new PVC and used stronger mounting
brackets.

The autumn Stew Perry test showed that I have a heat dependent flaw in
the feedline to my transmitting antenna.  I replaced the aluminum
hardline to N adapter at the antenna end but that did not help.  Next
I applied a considerable torque to additionally tighten the splice
connector that joins the 2 long pieces of hardline about 600 feet from
the house.  This twist seemed to eliminate the problem.  If the
problem returns, I'll saw out the splice connector and install a new
one.

Operation:

I started CQing using the phased arrays and SDR receivers to locate a
caller.  For some reason, one of the otherwise highly stable
oscillators in one of the receivers shifted by a couple of hertz
producing a terrible beat note.  A 2 Hz amplitude variation interferes
with perceiving dots.  So I switched to the Beverages with the
intention of fixing the oscillator problem at first opportunity.

One could tell all signals were weaker the first night because
waterfalls on the SDR receivers were mostly red - signals were not
strong enough to push the color coding up to white.  It made that
display somewhat eerie.  There was more white the second night
creating more of a pink cast to the screen.

Worked all the European DX the first night after 0400Z with TM6M and
DK2CF (not sure).  There was a tiny pre-sunrise rush from 0546Z to
0602Z.  Logged PA4VHF at 0647 and EI7BA at 0749.  Then KH7A at 0758.
During the non-rush, the band mostly emptied-out and with the 6th and
7th district multipliers missing in action, I went to bed at 0820Z.
Back at the radio at 1130Z saw modest morning action and no DX except
KH6AQ at 1209Z.

Saturday afternoon I set about fixing the oscillator issue so I could
use the phased array and SDR receivers.  While doing so I was
contemplating why receiving seemed to be better on the Beverages
despite many years success with the phased arrays.  I then made an
interesting observation.

W2GD was CQing Saturday afternoon on 1812 KHz.  Both the K3S and P3 on
a 60 degree Beverage and the SDR receiver and phased array pointed to
65 degrees show his signal as 25 db above the noise level at peaks on
the waterfall displays.  When listening to an empty channel in the
same 250 Hz bandwidth, both receivers have about the same background
noise level.  But the demodulated signal from the K3 is much, much
louder than the same signal with the same signal to noise ratio on the
waterfall on the SDR receiver.  How does the K3 recover more audio
than the SDR?

For the moment it seems like the SDR receivers have a flaw which I
must investigate.  Hunting for signals by pushing Beverage selection
buttons was very tedious.  Nevertheless, hearing better is good so I
continued to use the Beverages.

The second night was devoid of European DX but after a slow early
evening, the rate became almost bearable.  Perhaps a lot of people
skipped the first night because of the well-publicized CME impact.
Hearing further the second night also helps.  Picked up at the missing
6th and 7th district multipliers except Idaho.  VE5 also escaped
although I thought I heard VE5SF call at one point.

Went to bed at 0730Z in sort of a resigned state.  Arose at 1200Z to
see if 4W8X might be workable.  While watching the chatter on the
ON4KST site, I saw AA1K mention working JA3YBK on 1822.  So tuned to
1822 and voila, last multiplier!  Seems incredulous that one could
fail to work Europe but still work Japan.  160 always confounds.

The surprise multiplier was FY5KE.

Heard but not worked: G4AMT (second night), LY7M (first night).  Final
missing sections: NL, TER, SK, ID, and AK.

Some history of K1LT raw scores:

    Year   DX   K/VE  Total  K/VE   DX   Total    First
          QSOs  QSOs   QSOs  Mult  Mult  Score    Eu DX
    2003    36  1155   1191   76    22   231168
    2004    40  1362   1402   79    29   315792         (multi-op)
    2005    55  1333   1388   79    32   326451         (multi-op)
    2006    58  1380   1438   77    34   338550
    2007   101  1452   1553   78    48   429534
    2008   119  1350   1469   77    42   392105   2207Z
    2009   238  1447   1685   78    51   526836   2201Z
    2010   185  1419   1604   77    51   481664   2207Z
    2011    65  1288   1353   77    30   310407   2323Z
    2012    87  1388   1475   81    36   375687   2213Z
    2013   117  1378   1495   82    32   380874   2221Z
    2014    67  1359   1417   79    23   309570   2223Z
    2015    94  1394   1488   80    33   368154   2214Z
    2016    93  1435   1528   83    44   423545   2206Z
    2017   141  1323   1464   81    41   408822   2210Z
    2018   186  1254   1440   79    46   429750   2203Z
    2019   110  1179   1289   81    39   348960   2222Z (quit early)
    2020    94  1544   1638   83    34   416286   2205Z
    2021    83  1258   1341   82    36   345858   2241Z
    2022    55  1159   1215   81    29   285230   0049Z
    2023    28  1086   1114   80    22   235824   0402Z

2023 score exceeds 2003 only because there are more ARRL sections
available in 2023.

Equipment: K3S, P3, Alpha 8410.  K3 and P3 as the 2nd VFO.  61-foot
(formerly 66-foot) "Tee" top vertical over 75 radials.  2x4 BS-EF
phased array and receiver contraption, another 2x3 BS-EF contraption,
and a third 2x2 BS-EF contraption.  6 2-wire Beverages ranging from
500 to 900 feet.  For spotting: 60 degree Beverage combined
out-of-phase with a sample of my transmit signal.

Note to self for the next 160 contest: both NUMLOCK buttons must be
enabled to make the numeric pad "5" work to rotate phased array
patterns.