[AMPS] 3cx800

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3cx800
From: jfitz@albany.net (Joe Fitzgerald)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:13:14 -0400
Tom Rauch (W8JI) wrote:

  If heater voltage is reduced durning operation of metal oxide
  cathode
  tubes, it can more harmful than running too much voltage. Low catode

  temperature can instantly ruin the tube!

  Also remember the warm up time specs are for conventional filament
  supplies, if you reduce the voltage or severely limit current tube
  warm
  up time may need to be extended.

  I have seen several 8877's with stripped cathodes caused by reducing

  filament voltage below the specified range in an attempt to extend
  tube
  life.

  In amateur service, emission failures caused by excessive filament
  time
  or temperature are almost unheard of. Since the tubes are generally
  pushed right to the limit using the rated filament voltage makes
  sense.

  73 Tom

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I am working on an 8877 based amplifier
(originally a commercial ISM RF generator), and the transformer in the
unit wants to run the filiment at 6.0 volts rather than 5.0.  Does
anyone know the current draw of the tube at 5.0V?  I want to use a
resistor in series with the filiment to get the voltage right ... or
should I put it in the transformer primary?

-Joe KM1P