[AMPS] Discussion (and more)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Discussion (and more)
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:53:13 +200
Warning:  The Surgeon General has determined that this post does not
include personal insults or exaggerated formality, so readers of the
Amps Reflector might not find it stimulating!

G3SEK wrote:
> That's what happens when two or more people discuss their opinions,
> discard the junk, and everybody ends up knowing more than before.
Does 'discuss' include vitriol, bile, vendettas, invective and general
bad attitude?  I'm sure the purpose can be served equally well (or
better!) if done in a somewhat more relaxed fashion.

I'm the first to admit that most of the discussions are way above my
head, but I certainly do notice the mock formality, the veiled slurs
and even the occasional direct insults.

I have also on occasion asked one of the key players to tone down his
approach, as I didn't particularly feel like reading it.  His answer
was that I had no need to read it.  However, I do find the
information content interesting, to the extent that I do plough
through most of the posts anyway.  All I can say is that I've
probably learned more about the individuals concerned than about
amplifiers!

> If you don't find the information that you want, you can simply ask for
> exactly what you need. In reply you'll probably get far more than you
> asked for, but that's the way it goes.
Not always true.  I asked one question so far, and got no replies
from the people that really know.  I was given a few vague answers,
in line with my suppositions stated in the original question.  It
took a direct request to a known expert to finally get the real
answers.  In the light of the lack of interest in the original
question, I didn't even take the time to post the answer.  The
question obviously wasn't esoteric or contentious enough!

So, here's my humble request:  Please keep the insights coming.  But
let's see if we can all relax a little, and maybe even start enjoying
it!

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ