[AMPS] failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] failure
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:25:00 +0100
Tom

> If the cathode
>isn't stripped by the attempt to draw beyond safe emission limits
>(a thoriated tungsten filament emitter does NOT have this problem,
>it will simply saturate at lower currents as temperature falls) the
>anode and screen will be ruined from heat produced by the many
>electrons smashing into them.

Something at the back of my mind says that I've seen somewhere that one
shouldn't run a thoriated filament in saturation, but I can't  remember
why  - the penalty of getting old, I guess.  If you run it too hot, then
you boil out the thoria, but doesn't something nasty happen if you run
it too cold, besides not getting enough emission?

73

G3RZP