[AMPS] Power off

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power off
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:23:00 +0100
Jim, KH7M, says :

>I know that commercial gear in labs etc.  is virtually never switched
>off,  nor is,  of course stuff in radio and TV stations,  but
>not sure that has anything to do with MTBF or gear ultimate
>lifetime in our at-home amateur stations.

In our labs Jim, kit gets switched off every evening. Computers and work
stations are another thing: frequently the work stations are running
simulations overnight, but PCs are generally switched off. The cost of
the electricity outweighs the computer repair cost - at our domestic
prices, I'd spend $360 in 3 years leaving the PC on. At work, we're
supposed to switch lights off when we leave the room - studies have
shown that the life reduction is more than compensated for by the
electricity saved - that surprised me.  I switch the linear on when I
switch the rig on  - the antenna relays are de-energise to transmit, so
it provides a useful disconnect as a LEMP protection - and the filaments
go off when I shut down. I only have the HV on when in QSO.

73

G3RZP