[AMPS] Grid capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grid capacitors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 00:35:41 -0700
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Thu, 10 Jul 97 21:55:58 +0000
>
>Carl,
>
>I know you get upset with technical explanations, but let
>me try to explain this. I'll try to keep it simple.
...snip...
>All the stuff you and Rich blame on "parasitics" is mostly arcs due
>to outgassing and seal leakage. ...

Funny thing that the alleged Rauchian gas disappears by the time that the
kaput tubes are removed from the amplifier and tested with a
high-potential tester.  I tested a pair of kaput 3-500Zs for Rod, W7OM,
this morning.  Both appeared to have been damaged by VHF parasitic
oscillations.  However, the vacuums tested good.  At least one of the two
appeared to have a bent filament--like the one on page 15 in the Sept.
1990 *QST* article "Parasitics Revisited".  .
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K