[AMPS] 4CX1500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX1500
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 10:27:34 -0800
>Rich Measures wrote:
>>
>> >The question from Dave triggered my interest since I now am in the phase
>> >of starting building a linear myself. ...snip...
>...... the 1500B is what I have and can get more (surplus and cheap)
>so I will stick to that one. However is there any special worries, and
>if so what are they ?

- Zener-string shunt regulation for the screen is important.  The c. 25mA
constant-current source for the screen regulator should be via a suitable
resistor to the anode supply.

- Providing a low-Z path between the grid and RF-ground is important.

- Operate the heater within Eimac specifications.  An extra 1/2 minute of
warmup time might be a good idea.

>> >(Can I avoid
>> >input tuning ?

mostly

>I forgot to mention that I mean only all the ham bands in that range,
>Do you mean I can (simplify) the input by using a 12,5 Ohm grid
>termination below 20 Mhz

-  The 12.5 ohm GTR - and the 4 /1 bifilar step-down transformer that
drives it -  is not switched in and out.   The 12.5 ohm termination needs
to be there at all frequencies to provide stability and to load the radio
that drives it. . .  If you have a radio that can make 144w pep, you can
use a 12.5 ohm grid termination R and -60v of grid bias.  At the higher
frequencies, you might need to switch in some shunt L to cancel the grid
C.
- If you have a radio that can make 36w pep, you can use a 50 ohm GTR and
-60v of bias.  However, with 50 ohms, the input SWR is going to need some
shunt L sooner than would be the case with a 12.5 ohm GTR, as frequency
increases.
>If I go for 4Kv anode voltage, what est. output would you assume ?

The 4cx1500B is rated at 3000v max. and 900mA max.

>The marine type one gives min. 1500 W out with 2,9 Kv.

This sounds reasonable.

good luck, Harald
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K