[AMPS] Zener Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Zener Diodes
From: barrie99@marsweb.com (Yellowstone Photo - Barri)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:57:41 -0700
I've built a few amplifiers over the years, but only one using Zener
diode bias.  This is the most recent one: 8877 for six meters.

I built it "cookbook" style, following a couple of different plans
published in CQ.  I used a 14 volt Zener.  The amp appears to work well,
and according to reports sounds good.

My only problem, if it's a problem, is that the efficiency appears to be
low: 55%, if I can believe the meters.

Would a different value of Zener have any effect on efficiency?

The grid current runs lower than published figures at full output.  The
resting plate current is about 100ma.

I can pull 1.2 amps at 4000 volts with 90 watts drive.  Again, if I can
believe the meters.

I'm using, for the first time, a floating B-.

Barrie, W7ALW