[AMPS] MFJ Tuners

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MFJ Tuners
From: jirka@jimaz.cz (Jiri Sanda)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 00:15:06 +-100

----------
From:  John Kjos
Sent:  13. bøezna 1998 7:24
To:  AMPS

I have been considering buying an MFJ-989C tuner for my Ameritron
AL-1200.Some of the comments I have been reading are leading me to
reconsider.What is up with this the MFJ products?I was under the
impression that they made good equipment.   John KB9RPM

The tuner is quite OK, the problem is that in the real world it can not
seriously handle the full power, the problem is the contact in the roller
inductor, the contact is tiny and the rolling wheel is lubricated with some
sort of "conductive" grease. After a while it is less conductive, the contact
starts to be shaky i.e. hot which implies you will eventually finish with the
roller burn out. (I did with three pcs) Than you will replace the roller with a
fixed tapped coil for one band and you will be most happy with this newly
repaired one band tuner and it will than handle easily 3kW which is written on
the front panel.

73 !

Jiri   OK1RI