[AMPS] SB-220 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 problem
From: rlake@monad.net (The Lakes)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 11:36:49 -0500
I have an SB-220 that is acting strange....
over the past 6 months or so I have noticed when on 15m if I talk
for more than abt 30 sec. or so the tubes start to crackle very badly.
I noticed that on 20m last nite also....I do not really ragchew much on
the other bands so I'm not sure if it does it there.....I thought that
maybe
one of the tubes was going away so I triied each tube by itself and saw
no difference between the 2 tubes....The worst case swr appears to be
abt 3:1...will that cause a sound like that.....it is a crackling like the
tubes
are getting very hot...they do start to glow a shade of orange.....it is
not
arcing of any kind..
  Anyone experience this before?
73  Randy  N1KWF

p.s.    My AL80A does not do this at all.......tnx