[AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner, W7TI)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:32:28 GMT
On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 07:04:07 -0500, hyder@juno.com (Jack W Hyder, Jr.)
wrote:

>I have an Ameritron AL-80A which makes the loud CLUNK sound when the
>power switch is engaged.  I assume that step-start/current inrush
>protection would prevent this.  My questions for the list:
>
>1.  What type of step-start do you suggest for the AL-80A?  Your ideas
>are welcome.
>
>2.  I ran across a step-start circuit for the Heath SB-1000 (which I
>believe is a clone of the AL-80A) in the June 1996 QST (Hints & Kinks,
>page 69) designed by W3IRZ.  He uses a large 25-watt resistor (for
>240-volt operation) and a DPDT relay with a 120-VAC coil.  Has any one
>tried this?  Has any one improved the circuit?  This looks pretty simple
>even for me and the parts seem to be readily available.

I added a similar step-start circuit to my SB-1000 for the same
reason, to eliminate the "clunk".  I used an adjustable Amperite
time-delay relay set to about three seconds.  Such relays brand new
sell for about $40 and can often be found for less at the usual
surplus outlets.

I doubt if the "clunk" hurts anything, but it is annoying.

73, Bill W7TI