[AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 98 02:26:22 -0800
>In message <19980314202033.AAA7609@[205.231.11.91]>, Rich Measures
><measures@vc.net> writes
>>The circuit shown in Figure 1 at:
>>www.vcnet.com/measures
>>is simple, uses a pair of inrush resistors so that it works on 120v and
>>240v, and can be powered by the AL-80's 12vdc (?) supply.  The timing
>>element is the hv supply filter capacitors.  When the caps. are 2/3
>>charged, the relay closes.  For an AL-80 a pair of 7w c. 25 ohm resistors
>>should work satisfactorily.
>>later, Jack
>>
>>cheers
>>Rich...
>
>You might consider using current limiting resistors with a higher
>resistance and power rating, especially where you have a separate HV
>transformer.

The resistors w-rating is chosen according to the size of the amplifier.
25 ohmers limit the inrush current to roughly less than 8A.

> If there is a fault which draws high primary current and
>stops the HV output rising to the value that shorts out the resistors,
>they sit there with most of your line voltage across them until they go
>bang.

That is the idea.  The resistors act as fuses in the event of a major
circuit fault. If all's well, the 7w resistors barely get warm during the
c. 1 second step-start.

>I guess it's more difficult with a single transformer as you need
>to let the auxilliary supplies build up to operate the relay.

-  Two or more transformers act like a single transformer when the
primaries are in parallel.

>Having suffered once, I now use a fixed timer which gives a few seconds
>delay - if there's a fault then the line fuse blows.

A fixed timer changes only the capital investment.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K