[AMPS] Collins rig

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Collins rig
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:30:47 -0700
Fellow amplifier user/builders:

We have a Collins 205G-1 amplifier, good for 20 KW SSB from 30-60 MHz I
think, made many moons ago. It is BIG, and needs to be surplused. I looked
at it, and it is the usual Collins beauty,except that the mercury vapor
rectifiers were replaced in it years back. It uses a pair of RCA 6166
tetrodes in a cavity-like amplifier compartment. But there still are some
big mica capacitors and coils, so it does have discrete and lumped
components. It weighs 2750 lb without the 250 lb blower and the 1000 lb
plate transformer, which runs on 480 vac 3 phase 60 Hz. You can drive this
beauty with 1 watt. It has 4CX350's in it as drivers or pre-drivers.

The dimensions of the main transmitter are 73 inches tall, 83 inches wide,
and 34 inches deep. A little bigger than most hamshacks. Then the
transformer and blower boxes....

If there are serious inquiries out there, for research, for colleges, for
industrial uses, (WOW what a 6 meter signal you have!), I can try and
connect them to our salvage operations people to set up bidding for it.
Otherwise all that may end up (on my desk) is a pair of nice Collins logo
plates, and some old tubes. We cannot keep it anymore, it is taking a lot
of space and we do not do work at 50 MHz for particle accelerators. I'm not
guaranteeing that it will come through to the public, but I doubt that the
labs, or other local institutes can use it, and I don't want to see it
turned into pot metal without checking with serious RF users out there. One
would have to handle their own transportation for it, a freightliner.
Direct inquiries to me.

John
K5PRO